Eveline Mapfumo was displaced from her home and community simply for asserting her rights. When her father, who served as Mwami, or chief, of their village in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, died several years ago, Eveline was next in line to serve as chief. Although too young to ascend at the time, a council of elders appointed her to the role with her uncle serving as a custodian in the interim. But when Eveline turned 18, her uncle refused to step down. “When I started actively pursuing it, my life was threatened. Fearing that I would be killed, I abandoned my studies and fled from home with my children,” Eveline, now 25, says. Eveline found sanctuary 80 kilometers away near Goma with her grandmother. Heveline Mapfumo skins bananas with her grandmother Bauma Shabira as they prepare a meal in Ndosho, Goma. Several tribes and communities in DRC still believe that administrative leadership roles are the domain of men and should be passed from father to son. This line of thinking...
Comments
Post a Comment